RE: [Speermint] RE: SPEERMINT Peering Architecture - LF - OF - SF

"Michael Hammer \(mhammer\)" <mhammer@cisco.com> Thu, 25 May 2006 14:27 UTC

Subject: RE: [Speermint] RE: SPEERMINT Peering Architecture - LF - OF - SF
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 10:25:31 -0400
From: "Michael Hammer (mhammer)" <mhammer@cisco.com>
To: timothy.dwight@verizon.com, Stastny Richard <Richard.Stastny@oefeg.at>, Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>, "Francois D. Menard" <fmenard@xittelecom.com>, "Khan, Sohel Q [CTO]" <Sohel.Q.Khan@sprint.com>, David Meyer <dmm@1-4-5.net>, speermint@ietf.org
DKIM-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; l=12163; t=1148567144; x=1149431144; c=relaxed/simple; s=sjdkim2001; h=Content-Type:From:Subject:Content-Transfer-Encoding:MIME-Version; d=cisco.com; i=mhammer@cisco.com; z=From:=22Michael=20Hammer=20\(mhammer\)=22=20<mhammer@cisco.com> |Subject:RE=3A=20[Speermint]=20RE=3A=20SPEERMINT=20Peering=20Architecture=20-=20L F=20-=20OF=20-=20SF; X=v=3Dcisco.com=3B=20h=3DBzWVOzi7eMX+BufjHgZDTf9wqDY=3D; b=FoggXgQSPMGe65QTrjsBFyBBj2/3o9UfCgq/PjkxPpT6yfNbxMbMJLjf3LSXnb8plq6jl3Jk 9J1bHXhOzrW7NZoVu0k3R14TntY47ZXCys4k8nVvkP9tUieQedEf2VD3;

Tim,

The LERG and LNP databases are intrinsically tied to the operation of
the TDM infrastructure.  Any design that perpatuates these systems when
their reason for being (TDM) goes away is a faulty design.

DNS and ENUM provides the equivalent information and mechanisms to do
what is needed in the IP domain.  As such, a design that makes
dependencies on legacy systems is deficient.  I wouldn't support such a
kludge.

That said, if there are backward compatibilities during the transition,
where some information just happens to be known by external systems,
such as you suggest below, I don't see that as a problem.  I am just
wary of ending up with two systems in the end when one would do.

Mike