RE: [Speermint] Location Function in SPEERMINT

"Reinaldo Penno" <rpenno@juniper.net> Thu, 25 May 2006 21:00 UTC

Subject: RE: [Speermint] Location Function in SPEERMINT
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 17:00:28 -0400
From: Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net>
To: Stastny Richard <Richard.Stastny@oefeg.at>, timothy.dwight@verizon.com, "Michael Hammer (mhammer)" <mhammer@cisco.com>, timothy.dwight@verizon.com, Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>, "Francois D. Menard" <fmenard@xittelecom.com>, "Khan, Sohel Q [CTO]" <Sohel.Q.Khan@sprint.com>, David Meyer <dmm@1-4-5.net>, speermint@ietf.org

I believe it is enough. You could refine it but I might sure of the
benefits. Maybe this problem was already solved somewhere and I'm not
aware.

For example, The UAs would care.

>From RFC3263

;;          Priority Weight Port   Target
       IN SRV  0        1      5060   server1.example.com
       IN SRV  0        2      5060   server2.example.com

This tells you the SIP proxy to be contacted. It does not tell you if
this the closest Sip Proxy handling @example.com users. It also does not
tell you if it is the closest proxy to the callee.

In the case of a carriers providing VoIP service to a user, if this
provider A peers with provider B in two different locations, which one
to choose to send to forward the call?

Regards,

Reinaldo

Sohel Q
> [CTO]; David Meyer; speermint@ietf.org
> Subject: Re: [Speermint] Location Function in SPEERMINT
>
> Reinaldo said:
> >That's maybe one of the most important issues. This could be
complicated
> >by the geographically dispersed networks with several entry points.
> >Although this might be an interesting problem it might be a rathole.
>
> So you say RFC 3263 is not enough, something is missing?
> e.g. the geographic location of originating and terminating  --- what?
>
> -SIP proxy? who cares
> -SBC?
> -UA?
>
> So we are again dealing with SBCs, in this case the geo-location of
these
> -- rats, holes ;-)
>
> Richard
>

> ________________________________

LERG
> and
> > LNP
> > important, but in the wrong WG. It should be discussed in ENUM. WG
and
> > not in SPEERMINT
> >
> > SPEERMINT is only dealing with Call Routing Data (CRD), which is
> defined
> > as the OUTPUT of ENUM or some other means.
> >
> > This implies, that the location function (LF) defined in the
> > achitecture draft happens AFTER an ENUM query and therefore
> > cannot be the part of the LF.
> >
> > The LF can only involve the location of the destination "network"
> > as defined in SPEERMINT by the use of CRD (which
> > is basically a SIP URI because we are currently talking only SIP
> > in SPEERMINT)
> >
> > Of course SPEERMINT needs to define what it considers CRD,
> > and AoR or the ingress point of a network.
> >
> > BUT then SPEERMINT needs also to define how the ingress
> > point of a "network" is LOCATED given a SIP AoR.
> [[Reinaldo]]
>
> That's maybe one of the most important issues. This could be
complicated
> by the geographically dispersed networks with several entry points.
> Although this might be an interesting problem it might be a rathole.
>

> > Richard
> >

> > ________________________________

OF
> - SF
> >

> > Michael Hammer said:
> >
> > > Tim,
> > >
> > > The LERG and LNP databases are intrinsically tied to the operation
> of
> > the
> > TDM
> > > infrastructure.  Any design that perpatuates these systems when
> their
> > reason
> > > for being (TDM) goes away is a faulty design.
> >
> > OK with me.  I only meant to point out that right now I have these
> > capabilities, so recreating them isn't a high priority.
> >

> > > DNS and ENUM provides the equivalent information and mechanisms to
> do
> > what
> > is
> > > needed in the IP domain.  As such, a design that makes
dependencies
> on
> > legacy
> > > systems is deficient.  I wouldn't support such a kludge.
> >
> > Fine.
> >
> > I'm a big fan of IP-domain solutions.  Specifically Infrastructure
> ENUM
> > looks really handy; my point before was that it's moreso when used
in
> what
> > Richard called "option 1".  The alternative ("option 2") only
> replicates
> > the
> > "kludge" to which I already have access.
> >
> > And to be fair to Richard, he did point out (subtly) that the latter
> claim
> > is a bit myopic.  There are existing means by which VSPs can gain
> access
> > number portability information relative to national destinations.
> They
> > don't have such access, at least not easily and not universally, to
> number
> > portability information relative to international destinations.  If
> that
> > could be provided by Infrastructure ENUM (either "option 1" or
"option
> 2")
> > it would be useful and would not simply replicate existing
> capabilities.
> >
> > Bottom line, both options defined by Richard, would add value.
Option
> 1
> > adds more value but is specific to destinations identified by E.164
> > numbers
> > or URIs with imbedded E.164 numbers.  Which is the problem closest
> > hand.
> >

> > > That said, if there are backward compatibilities during the
> transition,
> > where
> > > some information just happens to be known by external systems,
such
> as
> > you
> > suggest
> > > below, I don't see that as a problem.  I am just wary of ending up
> with
> > two
> > > systems in the end when one would do.
> >
> > Isn't it inevitable that for some time, both will exist?  Just as
the
> GSTN
> > and VoIP will coexist for some time, so will their supporting
> > infrastructure.
> >
> > Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying "because I have an SS7 -based
> solution
> > to LNP I don't need an IP -based solution".  All I'm saying is that
> when
> > given the option of using Infrastructure ENUM to recreate (and in
the
> case
> > of international destinations, extend) the capability I already
have,
> and
> > using it to do that and more, I'm inclined to prefer the latter.
> >

> > > Mike

ENUM
> > > to LNP information may be very helpful; but only if Infrastructure
> > > ENUM provides more than just this.
> > >  If an Infrastructure ENUM query can combine (a) determination of
> the
> > > entity providing service to the destination, (b) determination of
> the
> > > corresponding LRN, if one exists, and (c) mapping of the routable
> > > number (either the number originally indicated, or the LRN) to a
> Layer
> > > 5 "point of ingress" specified by the entity providing service to
> the
> > > destination;  then Infrastructure ENUM is quite a handy mechanism.
> If
> > > all it does is (a) then I don't need it.
> > >
> > > But in the end this is neither here nor there.  I am not wedded to
> any
> > > specific technology, I just need workable solutions to real
business
> > > problems.
> > >
> > > Tim

Michael
> > > Hammer (mhammer); Brian Rosen; Francois D. Menard; Khan, Sohel Q
> > > [CTO]; David Meyer; speermint@ietf.org
> > > Subject: Re: [Speermint] RE: SPEERMINT Peering Architecture - LF -
> OF
> > > - SF
> > >
> > > Tim,
> > >
> > > thanx for your reply, you are raising some important issues.
> > > Since it is already midnight here, I will reply to it in detail
> > > tomorrow
> > >
> > > I am also working on a more detailed analysis and a draft which
will
> > > require even some more time.
> > >
> > > Just a quick one:

> > > 2" usage of
> > > the LERG and
> > > might be a
> > > answer so be it.
> > >
> > > Yes and no ;-)
> > > You are mixing up here the Registry and the ENUM DNS.
> > > The Registry is the LERG and NPDB (or is derived from), the ENUM
DNS