RE: [Speermint] Location Function in SPEERMINT

"Brian Rosen" <br@brianrosen.net> Tue, 30 May 2006 12:26 UTC

From: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
To: 'Patrick Melampy' <PMelampy@acmepacket.com>, "'Michael Hammer (mhammer)'" <mhammer@cisco.com>, 'James McEachern' <jmce@nortel.com>, speermint@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Speermint] Location Function in SPEERMINT
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 08:25:52 -0400

I think this is too much, or more appropriately, I think there is no point
in standardizing a protocol mechanism to exchange permitted transaction
rates or session/bandwidth quantity.  It's not that I think we don't need
this kind of limitations across a peering point, it's that I don't think
there is a protocol involved, and I don't think standardizing the mechanism
(which is just a provisioning process) gets us enough benefits to be worth
while, at least now.

I also think this is the kind of thing the terminating carrier has to
enforce, and if it does, then there is not much value in having the
originating carrier also do it; the terminating carrier can just say
"enough".  It's unlikely that the terminating carrier will trust the
originating carrier to do the limits checking.  The peering point could do
that, but then you get to "which originating carrier gets in the gate when
the line is full", and I don't think we want SPEERMINT to go there.

So, I think the terminating carrier effectively sends back busy when it
won't take any more traffic, and that is that.  You might have contracts
that specify the limits, but standardized mechanisms aren't really useful.

Brian