RE: [Speermint] Updated Draft: SPEERMINT Peering Architecture

"Brian Rosen" <br@brianrosen.net> Tue, 30 May 2006 12:17 UTC

From: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
To: 'Otmar Lendl' <lendl@nic.at>, 'Reinaldo Penno' <rpenno@juniper.net>
Subject: RE: [Speermint] Updated Draft: SPEERMINT Peering Architecture
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 08:17:09 -0400
Cc: "'Khan, Sohel Q [CTO]'" <Sohel.Q.Khan@sprint.com>, speermint@ietf.org

I believe this discussion has gone over the edge.

The reason SPEERMINT exists is that CARRIERS want to peer.

Email is an inappropriate metaphor for carrier peering.
Email and normal SIP routing are approximately the same:
	Generally speaking, a domain accepts mail (calls) from any domain
	The mail (call) is marked by the sender with the domain of the
recipient
	Mail (calls) is (are) exchanged over the open Internet
	You find the mail (sip) server by looking at the DNS entry
		for the domain

I expect that some day, that IS the way we will do calls, but right now,
carriers get paid to make calls work, and they want closed communities.
At any point, a carrier or any other domain can just take a SIP URI and
route it with normal RFC3261 routing to its destination URI.  It's probably
not the originating domain that cares, it's the terminating domain.

As Richard points out rather frequently, SPEERMINT does not deal with
E.164s, it deals with SIP URIs.  They have the domain, but in SPEERMINT, we
need something other than an SRV entry for the domain to be able to
terminate it.

Some day, we'll just do domain to domain calls, just like email, but that is
not what SPEERMINT deals with.

Brian