Re: [Speermint] Updated Draft: SPEERMINT Peering Architecture

Duane <duane@e164.org> Tue, 30 May 2006 00:59 UTC

Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 20:59:38 -0400
From: Duane <duane@e164.org>
To: henry@pulver.com, speermint@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Speermint] Updated Draft: SPEERMINT Peering Architecture

Henry Sinnreich wrote:

> The authors of this paper represent those who think there is a big
> difference. Reasons include DNS caching conflicts with changing IP
> addresses, security, etc.

We drop the TTL to between 1 minute and 10 depending on how static the
number block is, so caching issues can easily be dealt with in most
instances (not including broken configuration on caching servers).

> It would be interesting to learn why the 20 year old DNS 'as is' is
> considered to be good enough for eternity and any successor technology does
> not even merit a read, let alone reconsidering business evolution plans
> based on 1986 technology. Reminds us of SS7 indeed...

I think this is in the ball park of trying to replace email, and these
technologies are ingrained into how people think operate rather then
learning new technologies, not to mention they just work (if it ain't
broke?)...

This kind of reminds me of an article I was reading some time ago about
what it takes for a new technology to actually make it (kind of like
HDD/DVD/CD etc verses something like the zip disk/jazz drive)... The
authors conclusion was it had to be a factor of 10 better then the old
technology or people just didn't bother...

--

Best regards,
  Duane