Re: [spring] Thoughts and concerns

<bruno.decraene@orange.com> Fri, 29 November 2019 10:30 UTC

From: bruno.decraene@orange.com
To: Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston@liquidtelecom.com>
CC: 'SPRING WG List' <spring@ietf.org>, "spring-chairs@ietf.org" <spring-chairs@ietf.org>, "spring-ads@ietf.org" <spring-ads@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 10:30:40 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.114.13.247]
Subject: Re: [spring] Thoughts and concerns

Andrew,

I think we have enough with technical discussions to be held on the so called ‘Beyond SRv6’ subjects.
I don’t think that commenting on non IETF documents or initiating a thread which has a possibility of been heated and which is not likely to bring progress with regards to the technical choices and directions that we want to follow, is going to be useful or a good use of everyone’s time.
I would rather encourage you to work on the next steps which have been proposed by the chairs during IETF 106.

Several solutions on the table. Need to be explicit about the goals and the costs of each proposal.
■ Authors are invited to explicit both in their document (short text)
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/106/materials/slides-106-spring-sessa-chairs-slides

So regarding the document that you have quoted, or any document or video that you may find in the Internet, or any vendor roadmap that you may disagree with, I think that I would be more efficient that you engage with their authors or the representative of the companies you are working with (or not working with). I can hear that from an network operator standpoint, sourcing issues do exist, but this is not an IETF business. Coming back to a related comment that you previously made, the IETF has worked and standardized SR-MPLS for IPv6 prefixes/FEC. The fact that some vendors do not implement it (soon enough) is not a standard issue not something that the IETF can work on. In itself, it’s also not a (strong) reason for the IETF to work on another solution.

Regarding IETF protocol work, again, we have multiple solutions on the table. Let’s go a bit deeper with the technical discussions about the goal(s) and means proposed by each solution. Let’s see if we can identity the technical points that are worth discussing and try to gain consensus on that. Keeping in mind that both on the requirements and solutions aspects, tradeoffs are likely involved.
Let’s go further than ‘my solution is the best/simplest/more beautiful’. I’m even dreaming that we could go further than my solution is better on KPI/requirement X. (disregarding other KPI/requirements).

Ø  The forth bullet point is really interesting - because I have yet to see a last-call for this document on the mailing list - unless I missed it - which is explicitly required as per RFC2418 Section 3.2
If this is a point for spring chairs, that they have not yet initiated the last call, nearly a week after the IETF 106 meeting, ok, point taken.

Thank you,
--Bruno