Re: [Stox] AD Evaluation of draft-ietf-stox-7248bis-05

"Ben Campbell" <ben@nostrum.com> Tue, 29 September 2015 03:32 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <peter@andyet.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 22:32:31 -0500
Cc: stox@ietf.org, draft-ietf-stox-7248bis.all@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Stox] AD Evaluation of draft-ietf-stox-7248bis-05

On 28 Sep 2015, at 21:39, Peter Saint-Andre - &yet wrote:

> On 9/24/15 11:55 AM, Ben Campbell wrote:

[...]
>>> Losing that information along the way would guarantee that a
>>> presence
>>> UA can't do something useful with it; preserving the information
>>> seems
>>> helpful.
>>
>> Okay. It might be worth a note that the sender should not depend on
>> the
>> receiver to render it.
>
> Actually the XMPP sender (or the sender's client) doesn't necessarily
> know that the receiver is a SIP user. Therefore I'm not sure what we
> can say about the sender. At most perhaps we can add a sentence like
> this:

Of course, by "sender", I meant "gateway" :-)

>     However, there is no guarantee that the SIP receiver will render
>     a standard XMPP <show/> value or custom extension.

WFM.

[...]
>>> Yes. The XMPP server will generate a presence notification in this
>>> case, so that's the primary NOTIFY of interest here, I think.
>>
>> I think it's still worth mentioning that it happens. And that brings
>> up
>> another question: A RFC 6665 notifier is required to send an
>> "immediate"
>> NOTIFY. Do you think the presence stanza will reliably arrive at the
>> gateway in time to be considered "immediate"? If there's any
>> likelihood
>> of delay, the gateway may need to send a "pending" NOTIFY.
>
> Not sure. I'll think about that some more.

It might be reasonable to punt this to the implementation to decide,
with some guidance about what to do if you can't immediately send a
"real" NOTIFY. And on reflection, this gets tangled up with
authorization--the "pending" NOTIFY is more to say the authorization has
not yet been determined. If the subscriber is known to be authorized,
then rather than a "pending" NOTIFY it might just send a normal NOTIFY
with some default presence state, then send the real presence when it
gets it. (The subscriber's user experience might be a to initially see
the entity as "closed" then quickly transition to "open".)

[...]

>>> There's a mismatch in the meaning of subscribe. Treating a SIP
>>> subscription as if it were long-lived means the gateway follows the
>>> XMPP subscription model, not the SIP subscription model. A gateway
>>> implementer needs to choose which model to honor, and if it chooses
>>> the XMPP model then it's not honoring the SIP model (and
>>> vice-versa).
>>
>> I think this depends on the resolution to the previous comment, but I
>> would say that if the protoocl behavior expectations of the SIP
>> subscriber are met, the semantic has not been violated.
>
> Maybe. :-)
>
> It still seems to me that the gateway is enforcing one model or the
> other. Perhaps "violate" is a strong word in this context, though.

I think we may be reading too much into the "ephemeral" subscription
model, while still trying to think of an xmpp subscription and a SIP
subscription of modeling the same thing. Both XMPP and SIP have an
ephemeral component and a long-lived component. In XMPP, the
subscription is long lived, and the presence session is relatively
ephemeral. In SIP, the authorization policy, and the presence of an
entity on a contact list are long lived, and the subscription is
ephemeral.

So if we think of an XMPP subscription as equivalent to SIP subscriber
authorization, and an XMPP presence session as equivalent to a SIP
subscription, I think we can avoid violence to the assumptions of either
side.

[...]