Re: [sunset4] Declaring IPv4 Historic

"Marc Blanchet" <marc.blanchet@viagenie.ca> Tue, 15 March 2016 12:29 UTC

From: Marc Blanchet <marc.blanchet@viagenie.ca>
To: Lee Howard <Lee@asgard.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 08:29:51 -0400
Cc: "sunset4@ietf.org" <sunset4@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sunset4] Declaring IPv4 Historic

On 15 Mar 2016, at 3:09, Lee Howard wrote:

> As noted below, I¹ve posted a draft. I thought I¹d start a thread
> for
> discussing it.

starting the discussion ;-)
- courageous you are.

«    The IETF does not update Historic RFCs.  Therefore, the IETF will
no
    longer work on IPv4 technologies, including transition
technologies. »

I think this needs clarification. For example:
- what does that mean for current protocols specifications that are
already dual-stacked, when they are updated? If there is a field with
IPv4 address in the update specification, what does that really mean?
It might just break the protocol if we avoid the IPv4 address in the
update. SIP/WebRTC comes to mind…
-  transition technologies. you meant I guess IPv4 to IPv6 transition
technologies. Might be good to be more explicit.
- transition technologies: there are a few that are « helping » IPv6
deployment, one in mind is NAT64/DNS64. Does this mean we can not work
on augmenting/making NAT64/DNS64 better?

Marc.