Re: [Syslog] Some revised text for syslog TLS

"Moehrke, John (GE Healthcare)" <John.Moehrke@med.ge.com> Mon, 26 May 2008 22:15 UTC

Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 18:15:32 -0400
From: "Moehrke, John (GE Healthcare)" <John.Moehrke@med.ge.com>
To: Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com>, "Joseph Salowey (jsalowey)" <jsalowey@cisco.com>, syslog@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Syslog] Some revised text for syslog TLS
Sender: syslog-bounces@ietf.org

I have said this before, but people continue to go down this path...

The TLS authentication has already proven that the 'other' side holds
the private key... this is cryptographically secure authentication...

Adding a check of the IP address or DNS address adds very very little
value, and is not cryptographically secure (unless using Secure DNS).

Therefore there is little value to adding IP or hostname checking, and
lots of ways it will break (NAT, DHCP, etc).

John

Behalf