RE: [Syslog] ciphersuites was draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls-01.txt

Miao Fuyou <miaofy@huawei.com> Tue, 20 June 2006 01:47 UTC

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 09:46:44 +0800
From: Miao Fuyou <miaofy@huawei.com>
Subject: RE: [Syslog] ciphersuites was draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls-01.txt
To: 'Tom Petch' <nwnetworks@dial.pipex.com>
Cc: syslog@ietf.org

Section 9 of RFC4346 says:
   "In the absence of an application profile standard specifying
   otherwise, a TLS compliant application MUST implement the cipher
   suite TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA."

It is OK to mandate a ciphersuite for application profile(Syslog/TLS). But,
note that the ciphersuite you suggested is the same one mandated in RFC4346.
Maybe it is not necessary to mandate twice. RFC2818(HTTPS) does not specify
ciphersuite.

I believe TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA is one of the commonest ciphersuite
and satisfies IESG, RFC4346 is relatively new and comes after
Bellovin-Rescorla analysis.

Server certificate is a MUST for non-anonymous key-exchange in section 7.4.2
of RFC4346, in which the relationship between certificate and ciphersuite is
defined. This may the same case to whether ciphersuite should be specified
in application profile.