Re: [ledbat] Suggestion re "How to deal with the modem buffer"

"Robb Topolski" <robb@funchords.com> Thu, 20 November 2008 22:42 UTC

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:42:46 -0800
From: Robb Topolski <robb@funchords.com>
To: Nicholas Weaver <nweaver@icsi.berkeley.edu>
Cc: ledbat@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ledbat] Suggestion re "How to deal with the modem buffer"
Sender: ledbat-bounces@ietf.org

Thanks Nick,

Big thing -- as in defining a new addressable hardware parameter?  (Isn't
that more of an IEEE thing?)

Haven't we all been dealing with this for years?  On the chance that we
won't get anything from the ISP or hardware vendors soon (given the various
modems and buffers out there), what can users do now?  What can developers
do to keep users from calling and saying, "The Internet is down?" that would
still keep working if we did make progress on dealing with the buffer
itself?

Isn't avoiding the effects of the buffer why some VOIP uses a packet every
50 ms? Isn't the buffer's effects why my Ubicom QoS gateway dynamically
fragments packets and delivers them upstream at a rate lower than my
subscribed speeds?  Couldn't we take these concepts and suggest a way for
P2P programs to sense and adjust to the buffer's effects so that running
torrents never fills the buffer (e.g. speed test, set upload limit to 25% of
result, check RTT somewhere, addititive increase until RTT average starts to
rise).?

Robb

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Nicholas Weaver <nweaver@icsi.berkeley.edu

--