Re: [tcpm] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-kuehlewind-tcpm-ecn-fallback-00.txt

Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no> Thu, 04 July 2013 13:29 UTC

From: Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 15:29:05 +0200
To: Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Cc: "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-kuehlewind-tcpm-ecn-fallback-00.txt

Hi,

Without having read this draft yet, just from the description, I'd like to express that I applaud this approach. I have always thought that the TCP/IP suite is weak on "fallback" approaches - why do we have dismiss sooo many things once and for all, just because some middle-boxes or routers may play wrong with them? Why can't we simply *try* things, and fall back to a default behavior if something doesn't work?

ECN is one particular case where I was asking myself this question, so I'm happy to see this work appear - but I think that this method could probably be used to improve a lot of things at the transport layer.

Cheers,
Michael