Re: [tcpm] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-kuehlewind-tcpm-ecn-fallback-00.txt

"Scheffenegger, Richard" <rs@netapp.com> Tue, 16 July 2013 12:55 UTC

From: "Scheffenegger, Richard" <rs@netapp.com>
To: Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch>, "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 12:55:30 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.106.53.53]
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-kuehlewind-tcpm-ecn-fallback-00.txt

Brian, Mirja,

Having read this draft (I think the rationale for not probing in the IW is a good one, but perhaps a little more text in the draft would do good - i.e. a short flow will be effectively non-reactive anyway, thus any ECN signal would be superfluous), I like it.

I have one (probably academic) point though:

(I would like to see a diagram visualizing the probing process).

In Step 4, the algo sends the next 3 segments after IW with "CE". In addition to the "first hop must not have experienced congestion" scenario, a middlebox might also clear CE if these three segments are pure ACKs, as per 3168, pure ACKs should not be marked ECN-capable... also, you expect an ACK for these. Thus you need to send 3 "data segments" not simply segments, right?

In Step 6, you mention an interaction with ECN Nonce... Perhaps having an explicit example for an ECN-Nonce enabled session would do well (which can detect the removal of the CE-flag in probing data segments by sending one ECT(1) data segment).

In Step 7, CWR should be sent with the segment (not necessarily data segment) ACKing any of the 1st up to the 3rd probing CE data segment. This could be 1, 2 or 3 segments (the text only hints on a single such segment).

Including the optional ECN Nonce probing (4th segment with ECT1; 4th ACK with NS=1) in the algorithm might be good...

Richard Scheffenegger