Re: [tcpm] Rechartering TCPM for alternative congestion control algorithms

"Eggert, Lars" <lars@netapp.com> Tue, 03 February 2015 15:38 UTC

From: "Eggert, Lars" <lars@netapp.com>
To: "Scharf, Michael (Michael)" <michael.scharf@alcatel-lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 15:32:51 +0000
x-mailer: Apple Mail (2.2070.6)
x-originating-ip: [10.122.56.79]
Cc: "tcpm-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <tcpm-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Rechartering TCPM for alternative congestion control algorithms

Hi,

On 2015-1-27, at 11:21, Scharf, Michael (Michael) <michael.scharf@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
> NEW:
>
> TCPM also provides a venue for standardization of incremental
> enhancements of TCP's standard congestion control. In addition,
> TCPM may document alternative congestion control algorithms
> that are known to be widely deployed, and that are considered
> safe for large-scale deployment in the Internet. Changes of algorithms
> may require additional review by the IRTF Congestion Control
> Research Group (ICCRG). Fundamental changes to TCP or its congestion
> control algorithms (e.g., departure from loss-based congestion
> control) will be handled by other working groups or will require
> rechartering.

as one of the authors of the DCTCP draft, it remains a bit unclear to me whether that document would under the new text be something that TCPM was OK to work on.

DCTCP uses ECN (and redefines it, to some degree). That is certainly an "alternative congestion control algorithm" and hence now in scope for TCPM, unless it is also a "fundamental change", which would then mean the DCTCP document would need to go somewhere else?

Also, one could argue that DCTCP does not fulfill the "safe for large-scale deployment in the Internet" clause, since it's not intended to be used on the Internet and implementations typically have mechanisms to restrict its use. This again may mean that DCTCP is (still) out of scope for TCPM.

For the record, I believe TCPM is the right group to give feedback on the DCTCP document; the only viable alternative would be TSVWG, which has too much else on their plate.

So how about this new text?

TCPM also provides a venue for the standardization and documentation of
enhancements to TCP's standard congestion control, but such changes
may require additional review by the IRTF Congestion Control
Research Group (ICCRG). Fundamental changes to TCP or its congestion
control algorithms (e.g., departure from loss-based congestion
control) will require explicit Area Director approval before they may
become work items of the WG, and may require rechartering.

Lars