Re: [tcpm] Rechartering TCPM for alternative congestion control algorithms

"Scheffenegger, Richard" <rs@netapp.com> Tue, 27 January 2015 12:26 UTC

From: "Scheffenegger, Richard" <rs@netapp.com>
To: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.franken.de>, "Scharf, Michael (Michael)" <michael.scharf@alcatel-lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 12:21:25 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.122.56.79]
Cc: "tcpm-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <tcpm-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Rechartering TCPM for alternative congestion control algorithms

Hi Michael, Chairs,

First, I think the proposed change to the charter is a good one - especially in the light that there is a recent push to try and document what is currently deployed.

Second, for Cubic specifically there is a single reference to SCTP which indicates that cubic can also be applied to SCTP. However, other than this introductory mentioning, nothing specific is there. But if one builds a CC specific to either TCP or SCTP - which does NOT apply to the other protocol, a document should clearly state so and treated in the respective WG.

In the generic case - that is, CC which applies equally to SCTP and TCP, I think the current provision of having TCPM and ICCRG denting the algorithm out, and then when the time comes, having it in TCPM seems natural, not?

Best regards,
  Richard