RE: [Tsvwg] Re: [tcpm] Revision of draft-larsen-tsvwg-port-randomization

Murari Sridharan <muraris@microsoft.com> Thu, 26 July 2007 14:43 UTC

From: Murari Sridharan <muraris@microsoft.com>
To: tsvwg WG <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 07:42:42 -0700
Subject: RE: [Tsvwg] Re: [tcpm] Revision of draft-larsen-tsvwg-port-randomization
acceptlanguage: en-US

In this context I wanted to bring up a related issue that might also strengthen this sort of a port randomization proposal.

Today the 64k port limitation is starting to become a huge problem and most often admins add ip addresses to increase the scalability. Given that most often the destination port (and sometimes the destination address) is well known, the only scalability left is the source address. Increasing ip addresses to improve scalability seems a fairly round about approach and frankly doesn't scale well. Given that the 64k limit is not fundamental why not provide a scaling factor similar to the receive window to scale the number of usable ports. This also makes randomization much more meaningful because in certain proxy scenarios the number of connections quickly exhausts the available ports and at that point the attacker can simply use any port assuming he can guess the source address.

Murari