RE: comments on draft-ietf-tcpsat-stand-mech-04.txt

Eric Travis <travis@clark.net> Thu, 18 June 1998 21:33 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 17:33:22 -0400
From: Eric Travis <travis@clark.net>
To: Spencer Dawkins <Spencer.Dawkins.sdawkins@nt.com>
Cc: tcp-over-satellite@achtung.sp.trw.com
Subject: RE: comments on draft-ietf-tcpsat-stand-mech-04.txt
Sender: owner-tcp-over-satellite@achtung.sp.trw.com

> I've been thinking in terms of increased initial congestion window
> proposals, so what I trying to say was "if the recommended initial cnwd is 2
> (or 3, or 4), we can ACK-per-packet in this window without doing
> ACK-per-packet in all situations". Sorry for not providing this context in
> my previous post.

OK - I'm a bit dense, I understand what you were getting at now; This
makes me want to hack my stack this weekend to do this - I can't decide
whether or not this would result in a vile (larger than 3 or 4 segment)
burst or not. I'm thinking that it wouldn't, but I need to see to believe
;o)

> I wasn't counting on the receiver knowing what initial cnwd the sender is
> using. I was just thinking that any increases in recommended initial cnwd
> could be used as a conservative approximation of how much additional ACKing
> we can do without causing problems.

Yep - I'm curious now to see how this would effect behavior (at least on
a single connection); If it rains this weekend, I can forgo the yard work
grass and mangle the code... I'm worried about aggregation effects - but I
am with a plain increase with i-cwnd without a different ack strategy.

> At the very least, we could ACK the FIRST packet!

Absolutely - though if the i-cwnd >= 2, we already avoid the initial
delayed ack.

Regards,

Eric