RE: comments on draft-ietf-tcpsat-stand-mech-04.txt

"Spencer Dawkins" <Spencer.Dawkins.sdawkins@nt.com> Thu, 18 June 1998 20:51 UTC

From: Spencer Dawkins <Spencer.Dawkins.sdawkins@nt.com>
To: 'Eric Travis' <travis@clark.net>
Cc: tcp-over-satellite@achtung.sp.trw.com
Subject: RE: comments on draft-ietf-tcpsat-stand-mech-04.txt
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 16:51:17 -0400
Sender: owner-tcp-over-satellite@achtung.sp.trw.com

Sorry for lowering the signal-to-noise ratio unnecessarily.

I've been thinking in terms of increased initial congestion window
proposals, so what I trying to say was "if the recommended initial cnwd is 2
(or 3, or 4), we can ACK-per-packet in this window without doing
ACK-per-packet in all situations". Sorry for not providing this context in
my previous post.

I wasn't counting on the receiver knowing what initial cnwd the sender is
using. I was just thinking that any increases in recommended initial cnwd
could be used as a conservative approximation of how much additional ACKing
we can do without causing problems.

At the very least, we could ACK the FIRST packet!

Spencer