Satellite Bandwidth Questions

Chris Metz <chmetz@cisco.com> Tue, 29 December 1998 16:49 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:49:12 -0500
To: tcpsat@lerc.nasa.gov
From: Chris Metz <chmetz@cisco.com>
Subject: Satellite Bandwidth Questions
Sender: owner-tcpsat@lerc.nasa.gov

Hi-
I am studying TCP over Satellite considerations and have reviewed
draft-ietf-tcpsat-stand-mech-06.txt. I live in a "bits per second" world in
terms of bandwidth I would like to understand how bps relates to the terms
used to describe satellite bandwidth. So is there a reference somewhere or
good book on satellite basics that can fill in the following terms:

Band     Uplink (GHZ)    Downlink (GHz)    Uplink (bps)    Downlink (bps)

C            6              4                 ??               ??

Ku           14             12                ??               ??

Ka           30             20                ??               ??

I suppose I am asking how does one convert MHz and GHz into conventional
bandwidth (bps) terminology. This for clearing this up for me and my
apologies for the "simpleton" question.

Chris Metz
Consulting Systems Engineer
Cisco Systems