Re: Satellite Bandwidth Questions

Lloyd Wood <eep1lw@surrey.ac.uk> Tue, 29 December 1998 20:42 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 20:42:27 +0000
From: Lloyd Wood <eep1lw@surrey.ac.uk>
To: tcpsat@lerc.nasa.gov
cc: chmetz@cisco.com
Subject: Re: Satellite Bandwidth Questions
Sender: owner-tcpsat@lerc.nasa.gov

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Chris Metz wrote:

> I am studying TCP over Satellite considerations and have reviewed
> draft-ietf-tcpsat-stand-mech-06.txt. I live in a "bits per second" world in
> terms of bandwidth I would like to understand how bps relates to the terms
> used to describe satellite bandwidth. So is there a reference somewhere or
> good book on satellite basics

I tend to recommend Maral and Bousquet's "Satellite Communications
Systems: Systems, Techniques and Technology", third edition, for an
overview of communications from a satellite-application viewpoint, but
then that's the introduction I'm most familiar with.

Bruce Elbert's books are also okay introductions, but in terms of
filling in physical-to-data-link mapping choices (constellations in
symbol space, error rates, coding design etc. - the various things
that determine how the available bandwidth is used to give bps and
throughput)  I'd suggest getting large doses of theory from Simon
Haykin's "Digital Communications" and "Communication Systems".

cheers,

L.

and satellites are just an implementation that people get overexcited about.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>