Re: [TLS] New version of Multiple OCSP mode of Certificate Status

Marsh Ray <marsh@extendedsubset.com> Wed, 04 August 2010 18:30 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 13:30:51 -0500
From: Marsh Ray <marsh@extendedsubset.com>
To: Adam Langley <agl@imperialviolet.org>
Cc: pkix@ietf.org, tls@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [TLS] New version of Multiple OCSP mode of Certificate Status

On 08/04/2010 01:01 PM, Adam Langley wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Martin Rex<mrex@sap.com>  wrote:
>> Using any information in certificates that have not been verified to
>> perform resource-intensive operations is a security problem.  But
>> accessing an arbitrary URL presented in an completely unverified
>> End-Entity certificate is a "Freddy Krueger" waiting for his next victim.
>
> That seems a little hyperbolic. Accessing completely unverified URLs
> is something that browsers do for every single web page.

So if someone sent you a list of every known attack site you'd see no
problem with visiting them all?

What if the attacker got to choose just one for you to visit?

Just got back from Defcon, the "top tweet" was "I strongly recommend
against hitting jailbreakme.com from the #defcon wifi. Modifying that
payload for malicious pwnage is not hard."
https://twitter.com/esizkur/status/20089522350

This is where the "in theory/practice there is/is not a difference
between practice/theory" gets real. Probably the best approximation of
the truth is somewhere in between.

Retrieving a cert via HTTP as part of the validation process is surely
not as risky as running a web page with all types of active content and
3rd party plugins, and if there's an exploitable bug in those lower HTTP
or X509 layers, you're probably already owned.

But this isn't the kind of risk that's statistical, like earthquakes or
meteors. The attacker gets to choose nearly all of the inputs to the
transaction. He can thus select the tiniest, most vulnerable, part of
the possible parameter space and only needs to be right once.

So is seems to me the best design principle is to avoid unnecessary
interactions with unverified servers and handling unverified data as
much as practical. When it's done, it should be with at least some
justification and an acknowledgement it's a risk/benefit tradeoff.

- Marsh