Re: [TLS] New version of Multiple OCSP mode of Certificate Status extension

"Yngve Nysaeter Pettersen" <yngve@opera.com> Tue, 27 July 2010 10:34 UTC

To: "tls@ietf.org" <tls@ietf.org>, "pkix@ietf.org" <pkix@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:35:56 +0200
From: Yngve Nysaeter Pettersen <yngve@opera.com>
Subject: Re: [TLS] New version of Multiple OCSP mode of Certificate Status extension

Hello all,

Based on the ongoing PKIX discussion about an update of OCSP, I (finally)
realized the the problem my multiple-ocsp TLS extension is designed to fix
can be fixed in another way, by adding an OCSP extension instead.

This new OCSP response extension would contain the full OCSP response for
the intermediate CA certificate used to sign the certificate whose OCSP
response is being requests.

This have at least the following benefits:

   - The relying party only need to parse a single response for each chain

   - No update needed serverside for servers supporting OCSP stapling

   - Implementation of response generation/forwarding will be less complex,
since the OCSP response generator will have easier access to the required
OCSP response(s) to be embedded.

Drawbacks:

   - Larger responses, but not any less than the multiple OCSP extension
would entail.

   - If used in the normal response (direct to client), this will increase
traffic load for the OCSP responder in the same fashion as what direct
client retrieval of intermediate CA OCSP would cause, only more so. (That
is what the TLS extension was intended to prevent) Avoiding this would
require updates to server so that they request a different OCSP response
(which might also be needed to head off the expiration delay problem I
mentioned earlier).

   - Implementation of relying party OCSP processing will be more complex.

At present I am a little uncertain about how OCSP responses for multiple
intermediates should be handled: As a list of OCSP responses in the
containing request, or as recursive list (the OCSP response for the
signing CA contain the OCSP response for its issuer, and so on).

The recursive method might make for easier processing in the client, as
well as easier generation of the responses, so I am presently a little
more in favor of this method, than the list sequence.

As far as the TLS Extension is concerned, if the OCSP extension is used
instead, the extension is no longer needed immediately, but the
functionality will be needed if/when a new revocation system is developed,
so it should IMO be considered for inclusion in the next update of TLS
extensions.

Comments?

--
Sincerely,