Re: [TLS] Encrypted SNI

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Fri, 02 June 2017 08:43 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2017 10:43:00 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
Cc: "ops-dir@ietf.org" <ops-dir@ietf.org>, ops-chairs@ietf.org, "ops-ads@ietf.org" <ops-ads@ietf.org>, "sec-ads@ietf.org" <sec-ads@ietf.org>, tls@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [TLS] Encrypted SNI

Thanks, Benoit

[hope it's ok. to cross-port and redirect replies to TLS]

I have not followed TLS 1.3 in detail, so a quick question first:

Will TLS 1.3 still permit servers to send their certificate and/or SNI in the clear as an option or
will it force server operators to encrypt either/or ? If it does not permit server applications
to indicate what to encrypt, then i would really love to know which shared web-hosters did
explicitly express support for TLS 1.3.

Use case: (i can't believe this hasn't been discussed _forever_, but i do not subscribe to TLS...)

Operators of "client-side" networks want to be able to enforce policies which "web-services"
their clients can communicate with. As soon as the IP address used to host a web-service runs
multiple web-services (domain-names), this is today done by inspecting the TLS 1.2 server certificate
or SNI.

Web hosters whose services do share IP addresses across domain name should be very interested to
ensure such inspection works, because else a single misbehaving web-service they host will easily
cause all their web-services to be blacklisted by any of the varied organizations that create
blacklists: because blacklisting can then only be applied on a per-IP address.

Of course, IPv6 could make this need somewhat obsolete because there should be no reason to
share IPv6 addresses across domain-names, but i am not aware what todays common practice are with IPv6
in this respect.

Cheers
    Toerless