RE: [TLS] Please discuss: draft-housley-evidence-extns-00 (resend)

Peter Williams <home_pw@msn.com> Wed, 20 December 2006 17:45 UTC

From: Peter Williams <home_pw@msn.com>
To: Mark Brown <mark@redphonesecurity.com>, tls@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [TLS] Please discuss: draft-housley-evidence-extns-00 (resend)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 09:45:18 -0800

> I think you're right about this: the wisest choice may be to wait and see> how things pan out in the legal community, and not try to extract a final> answer from them too soon. Would the TLS WG be willing to extend the> charter for evidence even if a large part of the discussion was hosted by a> lawyer community and could take some time to hash out?
No; is my vote. The legal community would have to join the argumentation rules of IETF.
These are mostly unpalatable to the bar-regulated lawyer, however. Just as lawyers
discriminate against non professionals, they tend to be similarly discriminated against
in turn, by other professions that reject the very speech restrictions imposed on
the bar-regulated lawyer.  IETF uses certain argumentation forms and communication
media to garner consensus about what is best - like an open golf tournament - and, without
which we could not do our engineering job on a problem the scale of the internet phenomenon.
IETF is a fulcrum of social politics, and,  despite my oft heady criticism, it works. As much as
I criticise IETF, I still say "we". Lawyers would have to be seen to do the same.

You are the second person I've met as an email persona, who probably has a special,
personal talent to bridge  these two worlds of WGs. You can be a we, in both worlds; I
firmly believe that.

There is a possibility of IAB-level liaison, tho. Its an IETF communication channel
that transcends WGs and mailing lists. We mere mortals in the IETF mailing list
trenches dont  get a lot of say, there, tho. The last attempt, ITU-IETF for the
benefit of ENUM WG,  really didn't do that well. Extra-IETF structures for other
forms of external liason (ICANN, etc) similarly are struggling to find working
political mechanism. (It broke my heart to see ICANN and VeriSign in litigation.)