[TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] DRAFT: RFI for fonts

"Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <rse@rfc-editor.org> Mon, 01 December 2014 12:07 UTC

Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 12:07:32 +0000
From: "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <rse@rfc-editor.org>
To: IETF Tools Development <tools-development@ietf.org>
Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] DRAFT: RFI for fonts

Hello all,

I'm drafting an RFI to collect information on fonts.  Below is my first
cut.  Questions for this group: what's missing?  Should I include any
information on things I already know about (in particular, Google's Noto
font library)?

I don't know if this will turn into an RFP or something else; that's why
I'm doing an RFI.

- -----

Embedded Fonts for the PDF Publication Format for RFCs

Request for Information

In 2013, the RFC Series Editor announced to the IETF community the
intent to change the format for RFCs from a single, plain-text,
ASCII-only format to a format based on a canonical XML file with
multiple publication formats.  One of those publication formats will be
PDF/A-3 (see <draft-hansen-rfc-use-of-pdf).

One of the requirements for the PDF/A-3 format is that the font
information for any and all fonts used for that document be embedded
within the file.  The purpose here is to make the file as self-contained
and stable as possible.    Requirements for the fonts themselves include:

·      Serif and sans-serif fonts should be available (to meet the
requirement in <draft-hansen-rfc-use-of-pdf> for main text and headings).

·      A fixed-width font must be available for code, BNF, and any other
text that requires such a font as an aid in insuring alignment.

·      Wide support for Unicode (which may require multiple fonts) is
necessary to support the change that allows non-ASCII characters in
RFCs, such as person names in native languages.

·      Liberal or low-cost license terms.

It is unlikely that license-free or low-cost fonts exist to cover all
these requirements.   This RFI is seeking information on what is
available, where gaps exist such that a font might need to be acquired
with a for-fee license, and where a font might need to be designed.