[Tools-team] Re: Language review of draft-ietf-tools-draft-submission-08

"Alex Rousskov" <rousskov@measurement-factory.com> Wed, 20 April 2005 04:48 UTC

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:47:12 -0600
To: Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com>
From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>
Cc: IETF TOOLS <tools-team@ietf.org>
Subject: [Tools-team] Re: Language review of draft-ietf-tools-draft-submission-08
Sender: tools-team-bounces@ietf.org

On Tue, 2005/04/19 (MDT), <henrik@levkowetz.com> wrote:

> Sounds good.  I believe Brian want to bring it before the IESG at their
> Thursday telechat, so the sooner the better.

Done. Thanks for all the dirty work you did to improve the last version!
According to the diff, I have applied all your changes with the exception
of the following corrections. We can still add them via RFC Editor Notes
if needed...

-   Submitter authentication and submission authorization is in scope.
+   Submitter authentication and submission authorization are in scope.

The native speakers assured me that the original "are" is correct here :-).

     Automated posting: If the submitter decides to proceed with automated
        posting from the Check page, the system authenticates the
-      submitter (and may also check whether the submitter is allowed to
-      post the draft, if and when such checks are instituted).
+      submitter and may also check whether the submitter is allowed to
+      post the draft.

I added your "may" which, I hope, introduces enough uncertainty. I did not
add "if and when" because it is an informal introductory text, and it
sounded like we are creating some additional vague requirements or
dependencies here (that might get in conflict with formal requirements).

-  Cancellation of previously posted drafts is out of this document scope.
+  Cancellation of posted drafts is out of this document scope.

The term "posted draft" is defined in the document and implies that all
"posted drafts" are "previosuly posted". Perhaps I am missing some
important caveat here.

     Furthermore, drafts containing PDF or Postscript
-   format versions must ...
+   format must ...

The term "draft version" is defined and is different from the (also
defined) "draft format" term. I wanted to avoid the format/version
confusion here.

-         to RFC 3978 and 3979 (or successors) must appear in the draft
+         to RFC 3667 and 3668 (or successors) must appear in the draft

The above was in the old "Change log" entry and it seems appropriate to
keep the original text.

Alex.