[rbridge] WG Review: Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (trill)

Radia.Perlman at sun.com (Radia Perlman) Fri, 17 June 2005 15:53 UTC

From: "Radia.Perlman at sun.com"
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 08:53:40 -0700
Subject: [rbridge] WG Review: Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (trill)

There's a difference between requiring IP addresses for manageability in
a campus with
a flat address space (all one IP subnet), and requiring divvying up the
IP space in
order to acquire link-specific IP addresses. The first can be done with
DHCP, does
not require partitioning the IP space, and does not require changing
addresses if
you move around. Avoiding the latter (configuring IP prefixes per link)
does not
preclude the former (having switches acquire IP addresses for
manageability).

Not that this changes the wording of the charter, but thought I should
clarify.

Radia