[rbridge] WG Review: Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (trill)

townsley at cisco.com (W. Mark Townsley) Fri, 17 June 2005 07:02 UTC

From: "townsley at cisco.com"
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 03:02:15 -0400
Subject: [rbridge] WG Review: Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (trill)

Adrian Farrel wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks for being responsive.
>

>>"It is recognized that CCAMP may be solving similar issues that TRILL
>
> may
>
>>encounter, specifically with respect to the use of routing protocols (in
>
> this
>
>>case OSPF-TE) to flood topology information that pertains to an Ethernet
>>Network. The TRILL WG will work closely with the CCAMP WG to reduce
>
> duplication
>
>>of effort and resolve any interoperability concerns that may arise due
>
> to this."
>
> This looks good.
> I think we should remove "(in this case OSPF-TE)" from the paragraph since
> I don't see any mention of OSPF in the TRILL charter.

Loa's main concern as voiced to me was that TRILL, which is perhaps already
posed to gravitate towards ISIS, and CCAMP, which uses OSPF-TE, may in the end
cause some problems - particularly, I suppose, if the two actually tried to work
together.

In any case, given that ISIS is not mentioned in the TRILL charter, and
presumably that we haven't actually made the choice of *which* routing protocol
TRILL will use at the charter level, I agree that this reference should be removed.

Thanks,

- Mark