Re: [Tsv-art] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-packet-drops-05

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Fri, 19 February 2021 09:30 UTC

To: Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com>, tsv-art@ietf.org
Cc: last-call@ietf.org, draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-packet-drops.all@ietf.org, v6ops@ietf.org
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 09:30:17 +0000
Subject: Re: [Tsv-art] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-packet-drops-05

TSV-ART reviews are for our transport ADs's, so they will look at this
in IETF-LC.

However, thanks really for looking into these details and for the
changes you propose.

I can help clarify your questions below:

On 18/02/2021 17:56, Fernando Gont wrote:
> Hello, Gorry!
>
> Thanks a lot for your review. In-line....
>
> On 18/2/21 13:54, Gorry Fairhurst via Datatracker wrote:
> [....]
>> This draft examines ops issues associated with IPv6 EHs. The document is
>> well-written, with an operational/security bias. The transport area
>> interest is
>> primarily as a user of the potential to use an EH, and how an EH
>> might impact
>> the probability of packet delivery to an endpoint.
>>
>> * The ID discusses the current issues that result in EH filtering:
>> In this respect, the document describes challenges and mitigations
>> based on
>> experience - and concludes:   “This document is not a recommendation
>> to drop
>> such packets, but rather an analysis of why they are dropped”.
>> However there is
>> one sentence where the text could potentially be mis-read as offering
>> new IETF
>> advice, which if misread, could suggest there is no potential for a
>> future
>> transport to use this, which I don’t read as the intention: /As a
>> result,
>> operators usually drop IPv6 packets containing this extension header.
>> / - There
>> are various ways you might consider rewording this. One way could be
>> to say
>> something more like “As a result, many operators currently drop”
>
> We'll apply the suggested change.
>

>> * The ID also discusses use of the IPv6 Flow Label: This seems a
>> little off
>> topic, but seems linked to EH implications on ECMP.  However, the final
>> sentence of this section is a reference to [Jaeggli-2018] which in turn
>> concludes that the IPv6 Flow Label should not be used it as a part of
>> hashes
>> for load balancing. Yet, as far as I know, this is not the
>> recommendation of
>> the IETF in 2020.
>
> FWIW, we discuss the Flow Label a bit because the usual reaction would
> be "why do you process the header chain for load-balancing, instead of
> employing the Flow Label?"

Thanks - I see. Brian's Carpenter's suggestion would also help avoid
misinterpretation.
>> This seems therefore to be an odd concluding sentence for a
>> section that seems otherwise to support the IETF recommendations. -
>> This might
>> perhaps be easily made more neutral by moving the sentence that
>> affirms the
>> IETF RFCs. i.e., moving the sentence starting “Clearly,…” to become
>> the last
>> sentence in that section. —--
>
> We'll apply the suggested change. Thanks!
>

>> The remaining comments are not linked to paths, and are editorial
>> comments/NiTs:
>>
>> * Maybe the double parenthesis could be just ‘[‘ and ‘]’ rather than
>> “([“ and
>> “])”?
>
> Yep. Will do.
>

>> * Reading: /(and formally forbids such fragmentation case)./ -
>> readability
>> could improve by removing /case/
>
> Will do.
>

>> * A definition would be helpful for /RLDRAM/.
>
> Would a reference to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RLDRAM  do the
> trick?  Or were you just suggesting to expand the acronym?

I'd suggest to avoid the URL to wikipedia (people can easily find that -
or a more concrete reference, but need to be certain of the term). To be
clear, I was more expecting a simple expansion:

"Reduced Latency DRAM (RLDRAM)"

>> * There are many types and sizes of routers, is this true of all routers
>> (including low-end) or could this better reflect some type of
>> routers? So,
>> maybe the following statements could use better words than /most
>> contemporary
>> routers/? /Most contemporary routers use dedicated hardware/ … and
>> later: /Most
>> contemporary routers have a fast hardware-assisted forwarding plane/
>
> You mean something like "carrier-grade router"?

That would be much better, or something similar that differentiates this
from AP's, desktop routers, etc.

>> * I suggest a more powerful chip design might not have reduced
>> performance, but
>> would cost more: /but the overall performance of the system will be
>> reduced. /
>> - so maybe either performance is reduced or the system cost increased?
>
> Agreed. Will incorporate this.
>

>> * Insert "forward":
>> /to make a decision regarding which of the links to use for a given
>> packet./
>> - to /use for/to use to forward/
>
> Will do.
>

>> * Typo:
>> / Use of unknown extension headers can prevent an NIDS/IPS from
>> processing
>> layer-4 information/ - Add a period after, to match other items in
>> the same
>> list.
>
> Will do.
>

> Thanks a lot!