Re: [tsvwg] A New Draft Uploaded (draft-qiang-tsvwg-udp-options-bounded-latency-00)

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Fri, 08 March 2019 08:19 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:19:11 +0000
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
To: Joe Touch <touch@strayalpha.com>
CC: "qiangli (D)" <qiangli3@huawei.com>, Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] A New Draft Uploaded (draft-qiang-tsvwg-udp-options-bounded-latency-00)

I'm really encouraging you to do a quick revision: It would be really
helpful if you did the update suggested by Joe, to align so it's
conformant with the way in which the assignments are supposed to be made.

A few quick observations on the -00 draft:

(1) Please replace the "KIND" number with the text "TBD", and see Joe's
comment on the IANA section.

(2) This may is a chance to fix this typo that occurs several places:
/filed/field/.

(3) Is Length in figure 5 really 1 byte? This is the total length of the
option, and I see you have at least one byte additional. Is your length
of the option variable or fixed?

(4) I don't understand this:

   "One way to relieve in-transit rewriting is to pre-compute the sending
    cycles along the way, then carry them with multiple SC options."

I wonder: Do you imagine the path adds options as the packet travels
through the routers? Or is this a suggestion that the option field can
have multiple values present within this?  These are quite different
proposals, and I suggest you place this text in a separate subsection?

Best wishes,

Gorry