Re: [tsvwg] WGLC for draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-failover-08 - To conclude 19th November, 2014

"Becke, Martin" <martin.becke@uni-due.de> Wed, 26 November 2014 10:24 UTC

From: "Becke, Martin" <martin.becke@uni-due.de>
To: "gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk" <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>, "michael.tuexen@lurchi.franken.de" <michael.tuexen@lurchi.franken.de>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:23:19 +0000
x-originating-ip: [132.252.185.216]
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] WGLC for draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-failover-08 - To conclude 19th November, 2014

Hi,

On 25 Nov 2014, at 20:53, Becke, Martin <martin.becke@uni-due.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I read the draft and I still think the algorithm described is functional and useful. I like the idea to introduce a potentially failed state (PF) to optimize the send process.
>
> I have only some questions/comments (No editorial comments, perhaps a native speaker can check the text, too):
>
> - Perhaps the authors can give me a hint why it should be RECOMMENDED  to set the PFMR value to 0 when Quick Failover is used.  I would expect a value > 0 when it is used and 0 when it is not(!) used.
> Because it is not a flag controlling the usage of Quick Failover, but a threshold. See second item
> in the enumeration in Section 4.2.

Yes, exact. I only wonder why the threshold is not used as control flag, too.
FMPOV there is no difference for the algorithm if the threshold PFMR has another interpretation.
Instead defining the trigger with the event error counter > threshold it might be a alternative to define the trigger with threshold = error counter.
Thus the PFMR can be used as control flag, too. This has the benefit, that the Quick Failover is always deactivated by 0, even if the PMR will be reßconfigured over the time (increased so that PFMR<PMR).

Best regards
Martin