[Tsvwg] RE: WG Last Call: three draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv4survey-*01 documents (fwd)

Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> Tue, 26 August 2003 22:37 UTC

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:44:43 +0300
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To: john.loughney@nokia.com
cc: tsvwg@ietf.org, bob@thefinks.com, Jonne.Soininen@nokia.com, andreas.bergstrom@hiof.no
Subject: [Tsvwg] RE: WG Last Call: three draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv4survey-*01 documents (fwd)
Sender: tsvwg-admin@ietf.org

Thanks for review.. (the document in question is the Transport Area
document).

I'm responding to the both emails here.

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 john.loughney@nokia.com wrote:
> This is a good document, I am glad to see this kind of document
> being worked on.  I understand that this must have been a huge
> undertaking, but I have some very quick requests.

Ok..

> Could you improve
> the ToC, for example, listing the RFCs as subsections?

ToC could get quite long, compare to ...-ipv4survey-apps-01.  It may not
necessarily make it clearer (IMHO).  It also may be more difficult to
generate a "full ToC", depends on the tools used.

Personally I don't have a strong opinion either way.

> Also,
> the formatting of the document is confusing - I believe that
> all paragraph text should be indented - which it is not;

Agreed, I don't know how difficult this would be given the methods used to
edit the documents.

> however
> text copied from existing RFCs should probably be doubly indented
> (it is currently indented a single time, for example in 3.3.1)

I agree but this could cause problems, if the double-intending would push
the length beyond 72 characters, there could be problems..

> I hope this is not overly nit-picky, but my first attempt at
> reading this document was not successful as the current formatting
> got in the way of understanding what is being discussed.

Yep.

> Section 4 doesn't contain any Draft Standards ... I assume this is an
> oversite.

Maybe Andreas forgot to add the sentence saying that there are no Draft
Standards here (or if there actually are, those are missing somewhere).

> In section 5, it might be better not to list the specs that have no IPv4
> dependencies, or better yet, move them all to an appendix and list them
> in tabular format.

We're trying to list these documents under section 7.  Hopefully this is
clear enough, as we'd hope to avoid restructuring Phil's legacy too
much..?

> References are a little sparse, too - you may want to consider putting
> all RFCs listed into the References as well.

I disagree, but not strongly; IMHO, it should be apparent that the
specific RFC's are all "unofficial" RFC's .. the list in the end would
just get very, very long for not significant benefit (one that I could see
anyway).

Thoughts?