Re: [tsvwg] Diffserv for interconnection

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Mon, 26 November 2012 10:22 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: "Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de" <Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de>, "david.black@emc.com" <david.black@emc.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:22:48 +0100
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Cc: LEVIS Pierre OLNC/OLPS <pierre.levis@orange.com>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>, JACQUENET Christian OLNC/OLN <christian.jacquenet@orange.com>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] Diffserv for interconnection

Dear Ruediger,

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

Med: FWIW, the rationale we adopted in RFC5160 is as follows:

* Network Providers are free to define their own traffic engineering policies and their QoS class of services in their domains.
* Diffserv is only a means among other to achieve differentiated forwarding
* The number and the definition of QoS classes is not universal
* Network Providers are not obliged to expose their internal class of services to external parties
* When extending some QoS classes beyond the boundaries of a given domain, it is required to establish contractual agreements between network providers, otherwise the traffic will be handed as BE.
* These agreements will be the place where class identification is discussed and agreed.
* Remarking is likely to be always enforced in both exit border router and entry border router: local class of services are not advertised outside the domain.
* Providers need a tool to help deciding how to bind one/multiple local QoS classes with adjacent class of service: hence the concept of meta-QoS-Class.
* CoS identifier is not sufficient to provide QoS: additional parameters are to be agreed between network providers. Examples of these parameters are: constraints on the traffic (eg., tcp-friendly), network resources for the class / overall traffic using this class, etc.

So far I think, RFC5160 and the
>proposals of my
>draft would complement each other.

Med: Agreed. I personally see a value in standardizing a very limited set of interconnection classes. In addition to the interconnection class name/identifier discussion point, it is important also to have a detailed definition of the class itself (in terms of attributes, target services, traffic conditions, etc.). Perhaps, try the http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3086#section-8 ;-)?