Re: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-udp-options-dplpmtud-02.txt

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Thu, 09 December 2021 10:23 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 10:22:26 +0000
To: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
Cc: "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-udp-options-dplpmtud-02.txt

On 08/12/2021 12:19, mohamed.boucadair@orange.com wrote:
> Hi Gorry,
>
> Thank you for taking into account the first set of comments. Please find below some additional comments. Most of them are nits.
>
> * Consider updating Section 2 to indicate that the reader should be familiar with the terms defined in Sections 2 and 5 of RFC8899.
> * Section 3:
> (1) (nit)
>
> OLD: An upper PL (or application ..
> NEW: An upper PL (or application) ..
Done in author's version.
> (2) (nit)
> OLD: at multiple levels, so, when when ...
> NEW: at multiple levels, so, when ...
Done in author's version.
> (3) (nit)
> OLD: This section describes packet formats and procedures for DPLPMTUD using UDP Options ..
> NEW: This document describes packet formats and procedures for DPLPMTUD using UDP Options ..

We changed to:

    The packet formats and procedures for DPLPMTUD using UDP Options are
described in this document.

> * Section 4:
>
> (1) ".. as noted in bullet 2 of Section 2 in [RFC8899]": I checked that section but failed to see the relevant part to which this text refers to.
  Section /2/3/
> (2) You may change "token" to "nonce" to align with the udp-options I-D

Yes, good idea. Also to align:

/Section 6 of I-D.ietf-tsvwg-udp-options"/Section 5.11 of
I-D.ietf-tsvwg-udp-options"/

> (3) (nit) s/to reception of a previously received REQ Option/to a received REQ Option

Reworded.

> (4) (nit) s/reception of a specific received probe/reception of a specific probe
/Reception of a RES Option confirms that a
         specific probe has been received by the remote UDP
         Options receiver./
> (5) "The initial value of the four byte token field SHOULD... ": not sure why "initial" is mentioned here. I would reword this to require that each nonce value is randomly generated.

This I wonder - if really this is necessary that all probes carry a
random nonce, in the past we have managed with sequentially numbered
probes - initialised with a hard to guess value (RFC9085 gives one
example of a random port field)? You may wish to explain more, but for
the moment I have replaced this by:

/The value of the four byte nonce field SHOULD be initialised to a
randomised value/

> (6) (nit) s/A probe to confirm the path can support the BASE_PLPMTU see Section 5.1.4 of [RFC8899])/A probe to confirm the path can support the BASE_PLPMTU (Section 5.1.4 of [RFC8899]).
Done

> (7) Section 4.2.4 "Sending Packet Probes that include Application Data" says the following:
>
>     The method can be designed to only use probes that are formed of a
>     UDP datagram that includes application data (which could be
>     applications control information), padded to the required size and
>     include a RES Option.  This implements "Probing using padding data",
>     and avoids having to retransmit application data when a probe fails.
>
> There is a disconnect between the first sentence and the second one.

Yes - this wasn't really finished. The idea was to be simple, but allow
people to

use application keep alives etc as probes in implementations in future,
that may be

complicated - but would be more efficient for black hole detection.

I propose to restructure like this:

   <section title="Processing Probe Packets that do not include
Application Data">
       <t>
       A simple implementation of the method might be designed
       to only probe packets formed of a UDP datagram that include no
       application data. Each probe packet is padded to the required
       probe size and including a RES Option. This implements
        "Probing using padding data", and avoids having to retransmit
       application data when a probe fails.
       In this use, the probe packets do not form a part of the end-to-end
       transport data and a receiver does not deliver them to the upper
layer protocol.
       </t>
  </section>

<section title="Processing Probe Packets that include Application Data">
       <t>
       An implmentation always uses the format in the previous section
       when DPLPMTUD searches to increase the PLPMTU.</t>
       <t>
           An alternative format is permitted for a probe that confirm
       connectivity or that validates the path.
           These probes are permitted to carry application data.
       (The data is permitted because these probes perform blackhole
detection
       and will therefore usually have a higher probability of successful
       transmission, similar to other packets sent by the upper layer
protocol.)
        Section 4.1 of <xref target="RFC8899"></xref> provides a
discussion of
     the merits and demerits of including application data. For example,
this
     reduces the need to send additional datagrams.
     </t>
     <t> The probe could utilise
     a control message format defined by the upper layer protocol that
does not need to
     be delivered reliably. The RES and REQ Options need to be
     included by the sending upper layer protocol and the values of
nonces need to be coordinated
     with values used for other DPLPMTUD probe packets.
     The DPLPMTUD method tracks the transmission and reception of these
probe packets.
     Probes with this format form a part of the end-to-end
     transport data and a receiver needs to deliver the RES and REQ
Options to the
     upper layer protocol.</t>
</section>

> * Section 7: I would a mention about nonce guards for off-path attacks.
It does.
> Thank you.
>
> Cheers,
> Med

The above will be in the next revision, please let us know if anything
else we should consider,

Best wishes,

Gorry