Re: [Tsvwg] TCP and UDP MIB issues

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Tue, 06 February 2007 16:19 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 16:19:14 +0000
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
To: Anders Persson <anders.persson@sun.com>
Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] TCP and UDP MIB issues
Cc: gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>, Gerrit Renker <gerrit@erg.abdn.ac.uk>, tsvwg@ietf.org

I agree these new features could be applicable to UDP-Lite, as well as
UDP. The situation is only different in that we are currently seeking to
standardise the first MIB for UDP-Lite (preferably simple and therefore
more likely to be implemented), whereas the UDP MIB has already been
widely deployed.

What I do not yet know is whether the best approach is to choose one of
these methods (either 2 or 3) for inclusion as an optional part of the
proposed UDP-Lite MIB, or whether to await a fix (MIB extension) that
could apply equally to UDP-Lite and UDP (giving more consistency).
Unless people really need these features urgently for UDP-Lite, I'd
suggest a consistent approach is better.

Have you thought about bringing the I-D to the TSV WG for discussion at
the next IETF, it is often helpful to get feedback on the best way
forward from the working groups that maintain the protocols that a MIB
relates to.

Gorry