RE: [Tsvwg] Making draft-davie-ecn-mpls a TSVWG item

Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel-lucent.be Fri, 26 January 2007 00:07 UTC

To: lars.eggert@nokia.com
Subject: RE: [Tsvwg] Making draft-davie-ecn-mpls a TSVWG item
From: Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel-lucent.be
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 01:07:06 +0100
Cc: tsvwg@ietf.org

lars -

i am more generally questioning cost/perf. gain & value for 3
major reasons (they would deserve imho further discussion - or
at least further proof of evidence)

o) if it is to come up with a forwarding paradigm that becomes
equivalent to IP probably we should then start questioning the
need for MPLS itself (in part. in the present case focusing on
intra-domain operations where i always thought that data-traffic
and resource-oriented perf. objectives were taken into account
for edge-to-edge MPLS path provisioning)

o) MPLS paradigm assumed "intelligence@edges" we progressively
enter into a mode where intermediate LSRs will become (see end
of section 3) progressively require/result again more selective
processing of traffic

o) initial MPLS-ECN based its reasoning on expectations from
experience - quoting:

"We believe the benefits from ECN of better overall performance
for a wide range of applications because of reduced packet loss
(especially those using non-TCP transports) and reduced queueing
delay is sufficiently significant. Furthermore, there seems to
be no reasons for LSRs to lack this capability as it becomes
available in other (non-label switched) IP routers."

it would have been interesting to sustain the reasoning with
more tangible proofs - with the underlying question are we here
waiting for this doc. to make such experiment possible ?

much thanks,
- d.

<lars.eggert@nokia.com>
18/01/2007 11:49