Re: [tsvwg] draft-dhesikan-tsvwg-rtcweb-qos

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Tue, 09 July 2013 08:03 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 09:03:31 +0100
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
To: tsvwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] draft-dhesikan-tsvwg-rtcweb-qos

On 09/07/2013 00:35, Cullen Jennings wrote:

> The draft-dhesikan-tsvwg-rtcweb-qos draft was discussed extensively when it was an individual draft then WG draft in another WG and I don't think there is much more to say about it. This is one of the normative dependencies of the webrtc work and that stuff is already getting implemented in browsers so I want to move this along in an expedient fashion.
>
> I think it is ready for WGLC. If there are any issues people think need to be discussed before WGLC, please let us know so we can resolve them in Berlin.
>
> Thanks, Cullen

In the email above you ask for WGLC. The first step is for the group to
consider adoption. As I recall, this draft was brought to TSVWG for
consideration because it discusses transport mappings to QoS.

I understand from the draft this proposes default mappings for an
RTCWeb use cases. As I see it, the present draft:

* Advocates use of separate QoS code points for different streaming
components

* Describes both endpoint handling of priority for the media and
transport priority/precedence (aka DSCP).

* Proposes formalising a mapping between specific DSCPs and subnetwork
QoS functions (LTE, WiFi - but not general Ethernet).

Please read this draft and comment on the list - we will table this for
discussion at the next IETF meeting.

Gorry