Re: [urn] Transition of 2141bis and 3406bis

Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi> Thu, 21 February 2013 07:05 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 09:05:43 +0200
From: Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi>
To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Cc: urn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [urn] Transition of 2141bis and 3406bis

Hello Peter; all,

See the answers below.

On 21.2.2013 7:13, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Could you explain a bit more clearly the intended usage of query
> components in URNs? As far as I have been able to determine, no one
> has proposed to include query components in URNs themselves (e.g.,
> "urn:isbn:978-951-1-25645-8?param=value"), only in URIs (mostly HTTP
> URIs) that encapsulate such a URN for resolution purposes and then
> append a query component to the end of the URI (say,
> "http://resolver.example.com/urn:isbn:978-951-1-25645-8?param=value").
> Does the Finnish ISO TC 46 shadow committee plan to proceed along the
> URI path, or do they plan to include query components in URNs themselves?
The plan is to continue the work started in URNBIS by Alfred Hoenes and
others. That is, query components will not be a part of the URN
(namespace specific string). They will always be added only after the
URN has been assigned (by the publisher or somebody else), by e.g. the
user requesting a resolution service, such as URI to URL as specified in
RFC 2483.

Typical use cases include a user who wants metadata about a book before
e.g. purchasing or borrowing it; a user who wants to see the copyright
statement of a video; a user who wants to see all the available variant
versions (e.g. PDF, EPUB 3, OOXML and so on) of the article she wants to
read; a user who wants to check with the help of preservation metadata
what kind of differences there are in the look and feel between the
oldest and subsequent versions of a still image. Since long term
preservation of digital resources will be primarily based on migration,
in due time there will be n versions available for each resource that
has been available long enough (please remember that the time scale the
national libraries are talking about is centuries, not decades). In this
complex environment the digital archivists in national libraries,
national archives etc. will need persistent identifiers and services
provided by URN resolution.  Being able to use query to ask for these
services looks like a preferred way to move on.

  There are several reasons why query components cannot be part of the
URN. From the formal point of view, most standard identifier systems do
not allow adding anything to namespace specific string. From practical
point of view, services depend on the technical infrastructure and will
change over time. For instance, the list of services in RFC 2483 is
insufficient and some of the services (especially URI to URC and URI to
URCs) need service parameters; in the case of the above mentioned
services, a user must be able to specify his metadata format preference.
There is no way to specify a priori all the different query elements
that can be attached to a URN.

There are many ways in which service requests can be passed to the URN
resolution service which will process them. IMHO the most convenient one
is the query, now that RFC 3986 allows it. When the first set of URN
RFCs was developed, this was not an option and workaround was developed;
alas, DDDS as specified in RFC3401 etc. has never really become
popular.  In order to prevent proliferation of local query
specifications, it is necessary to create a (global / public) registry
which specifies the services and their parameters. Such registry would
also provide a simple means for adding new services and service
parameters; trying to nail them down in an RFC (as in RFC 2483) would
only lead to constant need for updating that RFC when new kind of
services emerge in the Internet / Web.

So our plan is - if query is not incorporated in the official IETF URN
syntax - to extend the IETF specification, and lay basis for a Finnish
registry for URN resolution services. Of course we would prefer to have
query (and fragment) included in the official IETF URN syntax. IMHO, f
the aim is to align URNs with RFC 3986, incorporating both query and
fragment usage into the URN syntax should be the URNBIS aim as well.

> Could you also explain (perhaps in a separate thread) the intended use
> of the fragment identifier, as well as any other discrepancies between
> the shadow committee's approach and 2141bis and 3406bis as they stand
> today?
Will do that.

All the best,

Juha