[v4tov6transition] Fwd: draft-arkko-ipv6-transition-guidelines WGLC

Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com> Mon, 16 August 2010 16:01 UTC

From: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 09:01:24 -0700
To: v4transition@googlegroups.com, v4tov6transition@ietf.org
Subject: [v4tov6transition] Fwd: draft-arkko-ipv6-transition-guidelines WGLC

We have a transition guideline in last call in the IPv6 Operations Working Group. Let me take this opportunity to invite all of us to join v6ops@ops.ietf.org if we have not, read the document, and comment on it on v6ops@ops.ietf.org in the context of that last call.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-arkko-ipv6-transition-guidelines
  "Guidelines for Using IPv6 Transition Mechanisms", Jari Arkko, Fred
  Baker, 12-Jul-10

I gather that the operators on this list are of the opinion that the documents on the table, which include that one and the documents it refers to - especially

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4213.txt
4213 Basic Transition Mechanisms for IPv6 Hosts and Routers. E.
     Nordmark, R. Gilligan. October 2005. (Format: TXT=58575 bytes)
     (Obsoletes RFC2893) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)

but also various other RFCs and Internet Drafts - don't give them the guidance they are looking for. On this list, would it be appropriate to ask operators to tell us what questions remain on the table?

If, for example, operators are looking for a document that describes how to use IPv4/IPv4 NATs to extend the IPv4 domain while the deploy IPv6, so that their customers continue to have some level of IPv4 support during the transition, I wonder to what extent

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-incremental-cgn
  "An Incremental Carrier-Grade NAT (CGN) for IPv6 Transition", Sheng
  Jiang, Dayong Guo, Brian Carpenter, 18-Jun-10

addresses their questions. I have scheduled it for IPv6 Operations Working Group last Call starting on the 12th of September, but would be happy to see comments on v6ops@ops.ietf.org prior to that.

Begin forwarded message: