Re: [v6ops] Comments on 464xlat-00

Masanobu Kawashima <kawashimam@vx.jp.nec.com> Fri, 10 February 2012 10:04 UTC

To: Washam Fan <washam.fan@gmail.com>
From: Masanobu Kawashima <kawashimam@vx.jp.nec.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 19:02:32 +0900
Cc: v6ops@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Comments on 464xlat-00

Hi Washam,

Thank you for your useful comments. Please see inline.

>> The 464XLAT does not require DNS Proxy for both IPv4 and IPv6 hosts.
>> IPv6 host may directly query an IPv6 DNS server.  IPv4 host may also
>> directly query an IPv4 DNS server through 464XLAT translation.
>> DNS Proxy is useful function for IPv4 host so the host can not easily
>> discover an IPv4 DNS server address.
>
>Got it. But it seemed to me that such DNS Proxy is required when I
>read section 7.4.

I'm sorry for confusing you. I took similar question from Brian
a few weeks ago. We will add some clarifying language in the next version.
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/v6ops/current/msg11853.html

>i was referring to the configuration function which allows the PLAT
>and CLAT not to include the Fragment Header.

The function provide a configuration function to adjust minimum IPv6 MTU,
or can configure whether it include the Fragment Header.

>> If CLAT gets a single /64 prefix from WAN interface, it has to perform
>> ND for 464XLAT IPv6 addresses(It means that IPv4 host under CLAT),
>> and it has to perform ND-Proxy for IPv6 host under CLAT.
>
>Do you mean ND for the translated ipv6 addresses where ipv4 addresses
>assigned to the hosts under CLAT are embeded?

Yes, exactly.

>If yes, then i think you need to clarify in this section because this
>section is too vague.

I agree with you. We will add some clarifying language about this in
the next version.

>My point was ND can perform even the prefix != 64, cant it? And when
>you say ND, are you referring to DAD or full functionality of ND?

Would you mind clarifying what you meant by that?
If CLAT gets a single /64 prefix from WAN interface, it has to perform
full functionality of ND for 464XLAT IPv6 addresses.

>> This 464XLAT architecture is hub and spoke model.
>>
>Would you mind clarify this scope in somewhere in the draft?

We will add some language in somewhere in next version. :-)

Regards,
Masanobu