Re: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-townsley-troan-ipv6-ce-transitioning-00.txt

Mark Townsley <mark@townsley.net> Mon, 19 December 2011 09:20 UTC

From: Mark Townsley <mark@townsley.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 10:20:25 +0100
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Cc: IPv6 Operations <v6ops@ietf.org>, draft-townsley-troan-ipv6-ce-transitioning@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-townsley-troan-ipv6-ce-transitioning-00.txt

On Dec 18, 2011, at 4:59 AM, Fred Baker wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2011, at 5:21 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>
>> It seems to assume that
>> ingress filtering is inevitable, but this is very restrictive as far
>> as seamless multihoming goes. If we can one day get to a situation
>> where ingress filtering is automatically tailored for multihomed customers,
>> we will need each SRIB entry to point to multiple DRIBs accordingly.
>
> To be really honest, I think you need to demonstrate that there is interest in achieving the nirvana you desire. Generally speaking, a service provider will do what you pay him to do, and anything that he can't describe in generic "service" terms will be generally offered, if at all, at a high price. Couple that with the general behavior of markets - seeking the lowest price for a reasonable set of services, and...

The demonstration of interest is the overwhelming operator support of the scope laid out in 6204-bis which includes coexistence of 6rd, Native IPv6 and IPv4, and DS-Lite. That, and on the 6rd side at least, the largest 6rd deployment (and largest IPv6 deployment for that matter) in the world letting us know that this is how they would like to bring up IPv6 alongside 6rd (re: 6rd-sunsetting).

Please don't confuse this work as primarily motivated by a "nirvana" of multiple ISP support on CE Routers. The solution laid out by Ole and I only happens to use multihoming techniques because that is in fact what you largely end up needing to tackle when you build a CE that supports 6rd, Native and DS-Lite together. Whether a CE router decides to include multiple physical WAN interfaces and market it as what is today referred to as "Dual-WAN" is up to its product management team.

The issue at hand is that as of a few months ago we have 6204-bis that plainly outlines that a CE router needs to be able to support 6rd, native, and DS-Lite together. When it comes to running code, it's an observable fact that a 6rd IPv6 interface next to a native IPv6 interface looks like two IPv6 interfaces to the routing system. Similarly. a Native IPv4 interface next to a DS-Lite IPv4 over IPv6 tunnel looks like two CE IPv4 WAN interfaces.

So, 6204-bis stepped into this, though perhaps it is more fair to say softwires did even before with the definition of 6rd and DS-Lite at all. It's incumbent upon us to at least state how these can be made to work together in a way that operates.

- Mark