Re: [v6ops] A way forward for 464XLAT

Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net> Tue, 27 March 2012 08:17 UTC

From: Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:17:21 +0200
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Cc: IPv6 Operations <v6ops@ietf.org>, Softwire Chairs <softwire-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, v6ops-ads@tools.ietf.org, draft-ietf-v6ops-464xlat@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] A way forward for 464XLAT

Le 2012-03-27 à 04:34, Fred Baker a écrit :

> I won't say "chair hat off", but "chair hat fashionably tipped to one side." I'm trying to figure out the best way forward for the 464XLAT specification in view of comments by the authors of
>
> 	http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-despres-softwire-4rd-u
> 	http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-fu-softwire-4rd-mib
> 	http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-fu-softwire-map-mib
> 	http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jiang-softwire-map-radius
> 	http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mdt-softwire-map-deployment
> 	http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mdt-softwire-map-dhcp-option
> 	http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mdt-softwire-map-encapsulation
> 	http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mdt-softwire-map-translation
> 	http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mdt-softwire-mapping-address-and-port
> 	http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-murakami-softwire-4rd
> 	http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sarikaya-softwire-4rdmulticast

I haven't seen comments in v6ops of authors of all these documents.
OTOH, I read the 4X4XLAT spec, had a useful dialogue with Cameron Byrne about it on the ML, and wish to pursue cooperation with 464XLAT author.
Yet, this list gives me impression that this work isn't welcome in v6ops, without understanding why.

> and notably the comments in the working group meeting Monday morning. Why do I comment on the "chair hat"? Well, I'm not "giving instruction", as chair; I'm floating an idea. If the idea is acceptable, the idea may become instruction; if it needs to be modified, I want to have that conversation.
>
> The objections raised in the working group come down to:
>   - the authors of said other documents would like to have a conversation with the 464XLAT folks
>   - What's this about a prefix::/96?
>   - What's this about a proxy service?

There was also a point about NAT44 in CLAT nodes or not (point discussed on the ML)

May I add that the relationship between 464XLAT and BIH (RFC6535) would also be worth clarifying. (I see high similarity: v4 only applications communicating in IPv6).

>   - What's this about normative language?

>   - How does it fit the the mdt-softwire-map specifications, which
>     appear to have a growing consensus behind them in softwire?

The point made during the meeting was about the work in Softwire in general. replacing this point by a reference to the mdt draft is a biased interpretation.
In Softwire, a choice between MAP and Unified is scheduled for Friday morning. As chair of v6ops, it would be better to avoid making a Softwire choice before the scheduled debate has taken place (IMHO).
Thanks.

regards,
RD