Re: [v6ops] [Fwd: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-v6ops-icp-guidance-02.txt]

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Wed, 11 January 2012 14:54 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, IPv6 Operations <v6ops@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 09:53:58 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [v6ops] [Fwd: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-v6ops-icp-guidance-02.txt]

Brian - Thanks for addressing my comments in this version.

I'm still on the fence about the draft status - I'm no longer opposed to adopting it as a WG item if that's the general consensus, but I think it would be ok as an individual draft as well.

A couple of additional comments from this read.

In your introduction, You mention the "first do no harm" concept - don't make IPv4 worse by deploying IPv6 (with the implication that some IPv6 transition technologies might have that effect).
I think you might be able to take that a step further and note that IPv4 *extension* technologies (CGN, etc) on the client side may also have that effect, meaning that this is one of the reasons why ubiquitous IPv6 support (perhaps "on by default" even) is critical for ASP/ICP - it increases the chances that their service transits to an end customer largely unmolested by IPv4 extension technologies.

Additionally, it might be worth mentioning the connection between the ICP/ASP and their partners and their partner's uplinks - that is, if an ASP/ICP has a direct business relationship with the consumers/clients of their content or the networks that connect them to their clients, they should be working with those partners to ensure that they have a plan to enable IPv6 on their side (especially in implementations that require IPv6 support in specialized programs or systems for the IPv6 support on the ICP/ASP to be useful), and that they have first-class IPv6 connectivity between the networks. This coordination and testing detail is something that's sometimes overlooked, and while it's getting to a point where it might be a safe assumption that IPv6 is already available on the remote side, at this point it's worth mentioning explicitly.

Thanks,

Wes George