Re: [v6ops] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-linkova-v6ops-ipmaclimi-00.txt

Chongfeng Xie <xiechf@chinatelecom.cn> Sun, 13 November 2022 04:44 UTC

Sender: xiechf@chinatelecom.cn
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 12:43:59 +0800
From: Chongfeng Xie <xiechf@chinatelecom.cn>
To: Jen Linkova <furry13@gmail.com>
Cc: list <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-linkova-v6ops-ipmaclimi-00.txt

Hi Jen,
Based on your introduction,nI think this problem is mainly about how the host obtains multiple IPv6 addresses from the next-hop router. I don't know whether this issue focuses on multiple scenarios, such as mobile more networks or clouds, let me take wired-broadband as an example, due to the address structure and size of IPv6 space, operators currently assign address prefixes to customers, such as a /64 or a larger address prefix, such as a /56 via DHCP-PD, instead of single addresses. After getting the address prefix from the network side, the customer's router (usually a single CE device or multiple CE devices) will further allocate it. At this time, the source address of IPv6 packets sent by the customer should be within the range of the address prefix assigned by operator, otherwise it is an illegal address.
The next-hop router mentioned here may be customized by the operator, or it may not be customized by the operator but purchased from 3rd party by the customer. In the latter case, the network administrator maybe user him or herself who is responsible for these related management configurations. In addition, if the software and hardware resources of CE devices purchased from 3rd party does not meet the requirements of multiple addresses, as Pascal mentioned, an IPv6 address comes at a cost , this may affect the overall end-to-end performance of the network or even affect the user experience. Most likely, operators will be the target to be blamed, although it's not its responsibility. Furthermore, if multiple addresses are generated based on the multi-homing, multiple operator addresses will be involved. This may become more complex than whether how to control multiple address allocation. So this is not only about the limitation of multiple address allocations, but also about how to use multiple addresses reasonably to ensure a normal communication.

Best regards
Chongfeng

xiechf@chinatelecom.cn