Re: [v6ops] new draft: draft-elkins-v6ops-multicast-virtual-nodes

"Ackermann, Michael" <MAckermann@bcbsm.com> Fri, 19 September 2014 20:56 UTC

From: "Ackermann, Michael" <MAckermann@bcbsm.com>
To: Andrew 👽 Yourtchenko <ayourtch@gmail.com>, Nalini Elkins <nalini.elkins@insidethestack.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 20:55:37 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.64.10.35]
Cc: "draft-elkins-v6ops-multicast-virtual-nodes@tools.ietf.org" <draft-elkins-v6ops-multicast-virtual-nodes@tools.ietf.org>, "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] new draft: draft-elkins-v6ops-multicast-virtual-nodes

HI Andrew

Thanks for the great responses and related information.

My comment on the inclusion of MLD,  is that we talked a lot about MLD during the creation of this draft and it certainly is consistent with the theme and adds to the issues.   However, we chose to leave MLD out of this draft, in an effort to keep the draft smaller and more focused.   We do mention MLD as being a related factor but state it is outside of the scope of the draft.     Given that, a question for you is if you feel this draft SHOULD include MLD?

One other comment is that although there is education and information about these types of IPv6 subjects/issues, most large enterprises are unaware of any of this.   Our hope was to spare them from having an unpleasant initial experience with IPv6, by pointing out some issues  and pitfalls we have run into.   There is enough reluctance to pursue IPv6, in the corporate and large enterprise environments today and we want to eliminate as many negatives from that decision process as possible.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again

Mike