Re: [VCARDDAV] Past ORGs?

Markus Lorenz <lorenz@atlantika-arts.net> Tue, 05 October 2010 11:56 UTC

Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:56:54 +0200
From: Markus Lorenz <lorenz@atlantika-arts.net>
To: vcarddav@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] Past ORGs?

Hey Renato,

it seems to me that you are trying to put a whole CV into a vCard. I
don't think that's what it should be used for. I think supporting the
data of a CV would be much more complex.

If you start adding a date range for the ORG field, why not adding it
for ADR, TEL, EMAIL, IMAPP, TZ and GEO? I've actually the problem that
when someone changes their phone number, I want to store the old number
for being able to reconstruct communication like calls or text messages
later. So it would be useful to have a date range for all these fields
as well.

I think if vcard should provide features for tracking someone's whole
life in terms of available communication channels, past employers,
education, etc., the format had to be much more complex. Adding just
some of those features wouldn't be enough. And then, who would support
all these features? Even today most of the implementations I've seen
only support the very basic features. Like only one personal and one
working address.

In my opinion that would be the wrong way to go with vCard.

Regards,

Markus