Re: [websec] Certificate Pinning via HSTS (.txt version)

Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com> Wed, 14 September 2011 13:12 UTC

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 09:14:04 -0400
From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>
To: Marsh Ray <marsh@extendedsubset.com>
Cc: IETF WebSec WG <websec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [websec] Certificate Pinning via HSTS (.txt version)

I totally agree that this is a feasible attack. It has been seen on a very
large scale, Russia did a BGP redirect at a country level in their dispute
with Georgia.

DNSSEC on A records alone is practically worthless. There is some value but
not a great deal. Most DNS attacks have been persuading registrars to put
bad data into the system.