Re: snmp over X.25

Ragnar Paulson <ragnar@software.group.com> Thu, 11 August 1994 15:22 UTC

Subject: Re: snmp over X.25
To: Fred Baker <fbaker@acc.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 1994 09:50:28 -0400
Cc: Melnikov@iae.nsk.su, x25mib@dg-rtp.dg.com
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Ragnar Paulson <ragnar@software.group.com>

> SNMP is designed within the IP framework, which presumes that SNMP runs on
> UDP, which in turn runs on IP. IP can run on many things, including X.25.
> Therefore, the stock answer is that you should use SNMP/UDP/IP/X.25. This
> solves both of your problems.

I beg to differ.  My understanding is that SNMP is designed to work on
any connectionless transport service.  While most implementations have
been for UDP, there is no reason it cannot work over the OSI Connectionless
Transport Service (CLTS) in an X.25 environment.

In the diagram below, the switch C still has to implement CLTS, but if
your adding SNMP to the switch this presumes you have some control over
the software in it.

> >        - Are there any specifications on use SNMP in heterogenous
> >          networks. I mean is it possible to pass SNMP requests
> >          from one type of network to another.
> >          Could I make, for example, such scheme:
> >
> >                 TCP/IP network
> >          ---+----------------------+-------
> >             |                      |
> >          +--+--+                +--+--+    X.25 network   +-----+
> >          |  A  |                |  B  +-------------------+  C  +--
> >          +--+--+                +--+--+                   +-----+
> >           host                   host                  packet switch
> >
> >        The questions is:
> >        How host A interchange SNMP information with packet switch C,
> >        and how host B redirect it ?

Good questions.  I think your manager has to be cognizant of all the
underlying network architectures and addressing.

Regards,

Ragnar Paulson				Manager, Development
The Software Group Limited		email:	ragnar@software.group.com
Phone: 905 856 0238