Re: Initialing X.25 calls

"Dean D. Throop" <throop@dg-rtp.dg.com> Mon, 03 February 1992 19:48 UTC

Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1992 14:25:27 -0500
From: "Dean D. Throop" <throop@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To: x25mib@dg-rtp.dg.com
Subject: Re: Initialing X.25 calls

>From: HUSTON@PROCESS.COM (Steve Huston)
>To: throop@dg-rtp.dg.com
>Cc: x25mib@dg-rtp.dg.com
>Subject:  Re:  Initiating X.25 calls
>

> I agree, it is best to keep customized call setup parameters at, say, the
> IP level for IP-using-X25.  But I don't see how/where they can be set.
> ipNetToMediaTable doesn't have a way to do it (that I see, anyway).
>
> Assuming I have missed some obvious point, could someone say how I could
> configure my system of IP/X.25 for the following:
>
> - Default call parameters of blah, blah (this part I see from the X.25
>   packet layer MIB)
> - IP address a.b.c.d maps to X.121 address 311061712345 (this part I see
>   in ipNetToMediaTable of MIB-II)
> - For the above mapping, do not try to reverse the charges, and use packet
>   size 512, window 7 (not the defaults...)  (this is the part I don't
>   understand how to do).
>
> Steve Huston                          Process Software Corporation
> huston@process.com                    959 Concord Street
> +1 508 879 6994                       Framingham, MA  01701

I believe you are correct.  The IP to X.25 address mapping for
addresses not in use comes from an ipNetToMediaTable.
This table does not have any way to indicate X.25 call parameters
to use to place the call.

The ioxConTable only contain entries for existing calls and
that table does indicate the call parameters used for the call.

It appears we have several options.

1) Acknowledge the current state as appropriate and say
   any changes to call parameters must be done to the
   X.25 PLE default parameters.  (Given the last few
   messages, I doubt this is what people want).

2) Add another object to the ipNetToMediaTable to hold
   call parameters.

3) Create another table similar to the ipNetToMediaTable and
   ioxConTable but just for the call parameters to use to place a call.

4) Change the ioxConTable to handle both active connections and
   translations for inactive connections.  If we do this,
   how do we deal with call parameters for DDN style addresses
   that use an algorithm for the mapping?

What do you want to do?

Dean Throop		throop@dg-rtp.dg.com