x.25 caller's MIB

Rodney L Thayer <rodney@world.std.com> Tue, 28 January 1992 21:46 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1992 14:30:30 -0500
From: Rodney L Thayer <rodney@world.std.com>
To: x25mib@dg-rtp.dg.com
Subject: x.25 caller's MIB

(thank you all for your comments on my previous statement.)
My name is Rodney Thayer.  I work for Sable Technology Corporation.
We develop networking products, including one product that uses an X.25 network
to implement a print server.  We have several present and near-future customers
who use or wish to use SNMP to manage components of there networks, so we
are interested in the X.25 MIB since we will probably have to 'live on it'
in our products.  In our products, we frequently have to configure for
using the underlying X.25 transport, so we want our MIB to record what
addressing information we use to access X.25.  The things we tend to see are:

  X.121 Address
  Call User Data Field
  Explicitly generated Facilities requests

I'll take the suggestion to provide an example, and sketch a bit of
ASN.1 and provide that later.

From experience, we know it is critical to both know what the transport thinks
it is connected to AND what the application though it asked the transport
connected to, so I do not consider it redundant to see some of these things
twice.